NOTE: In the August 2023 data release, the Global Gas Plant Tracker (GGPT) was expanded and renamed The Global Oil and Gas Plant Tracker (GOGPT). As part of the new expansion, the GOGPT now includes exclusively oil-fired power plants and oil and gas units using internal combustion technology, also known as engines.
The Global Oil and Gas Plant Tracker (GOGPT) is a worldwide dataset of oil and gas-fired power plants. It includes units with capacities of 50 megawatts (MW) or more (20 MW or more in the European Union and the United Kingdom). For internal combustion units, or those units that have multiple identically sized engines, the 50 MW capacity unit threshold applies to the total capacity of the set of engines. The GOGPT catalogs every oil and gas power plant at this capacity threshold of any status, including operating, announced, pre-construction, construction, shelved, cancelled, mothballed, or retired. Units often consist of a boiler and gas or steam turbines, and several units may make up one power station. The map and underlying data is updated bi-annually, in February and August. Each plant included in the tracker is linked to a wiki page on GEM.wiki, which provides additional details.
The most recent release of this data was in August 2023.
- countries included
- oil and gas units tracked
- oil and gas plant owners
- GW oil & gas capacity in development
- Oil and Gas Plants by Country (MW)
- Oil and Gas Plants by Country (Power Stations)
- Oil and Gas Plants by Country (Units)
- Oil and Gas Plants by Region (MW)
- Oil and Gas Plants by Region (Power Stations)
- Oil and Gas Plants by Region (Units)
- Coal-to-Gas Conversions by Region (MW)
- Global Ownership of Oil and Gas Plants (MW)
- Captive Oil and Gas Plants by Industry (MW)
- Oil and Gas Plants by Technology by Region (MW)