Note: LNG terminals, gas pipelines, and oil pipelines were historically contained in GEM’s GFIT (Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker). As of January 2022, gas pipelines and LNG terminals are now found in the GGIT (Global Gas Infrastructure Tracker). The existing GFIT database contains gas pipelines (January 2022 release), LNG terminals (June 2021 release), and oil pipelines (December 2020 release). The GGIT includes identical gas pipeline and LNG terminal data, but without oil pipelines. In early 2022, GFIT will be retired and replaced by GOIT (Global Oil Infrastructure Tracker).
The Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker (GFIT) is an information resource on fossil fuel infrastructure projects and their development. Currently, the GFIT includes all global LNG import terminals and export terminals, and all global oil and gas transmission pipelines over a pre-determined size threshold. The Tracker organizes information in both map and table format. The interactive map format allows users to geographically visualize pipeline routes and terminal locations, while the table format allows users to access additional data points on each project. Both the map and table provide menu-based data filtering options as well as links to further information in project-specific wiki pages housed on GEM.wiki. The sources used in research and data collection can be found cited in each project’s wiki page. The GFIT data are updated, published, and distributed twice a year. Following every data update, descriptive statistics are run and published as data summary tables.
- oil and gas pipelines tracked
- km combined pipeline length
- LNG terminals tracked
- tonnes of total LNG capacity
- Gas Pipeline Capacity by Country
- Oil Pipeline Capacity by Country
- Gas Pipeline Kilometers by Country
- Oil Pipeline Kilometers by Country
- Pipeline Capacity by Start Year and Type
- Pipeline Kilometers by Start Year and Type
- LNG Export Terminal Capacity by Country
- LNG Import Terminal Capacity by Country
- Number of LNG Export Trains by Region
- Number of LNG Import Terminal Projects by Region