The Global Coal Plant Tracker (GCPT) provides information on coal-fired power units from around the world generating 30 megawatts and above. The GCPT catalogues every operating coal-fired generating unit, every new unit proposed since 2010, and every unit retired since 2000. Units often consist of a boiler and turbine, and several units may make up one coal-fired power station. The map and underlying data is updated bi-annually, around January and July. In 2023, GEM is also piloting a partial quarterly release covering proposed coal units outside of China. Each plant included in the tracker is linked to a wiki page on GEM.wiki, which provides additional details.
The most recent release of this data was in July 2023 (full) and October 2023 (partial; findings not reflected in map or dashboard).
- countries included
- coal units tracked
- plant owners
- kg CO₂ per year
- Newly Operating Coal Plants by Year, 2000-2023 (MW)
- Retired Coal Plants, 2000-2023 (MW)
- Planned Coal Plant Retirements, 2023-2040 (MW)
- Coal Plants by Country (MW)
- Coal Plants by Country: Annual CO2
- Coal Plants by Country: Lifetime CO2
- Coal Plants by Region (MW)
- Coal Plants in China (MW)
- Coal Plants in India (MW)
- Coal Plants in the United States (MW)