The Global Coal Mine Tracker (GCMT) is a worldwide dataset of coal mines and proposed projects. The tracker provides asset-level details on ownership structure, development stage and status, coal type, production, workforce size, reserves and resources, methane emissions, geolocation, and over 30 other categories.
The most recent release of this data was in October 2023 and includes operating mines producing 1 million tonnes per year or more, with smaller mines included at discretion. The tracker also includes proposed coal mines and mine expansions with a designed capacity of 1 million tonnes per year or more.
Data is available to download and viewable with interactive mapping and aggregate dashboards and summary tables. Each coal mine is linked to its own separate factsheet on GEM.wiki that provides references and further background, including news about project financing, civil society opposition, labor activity, and workplace accidents. The project methodology is available here.
- countries included
- mines tracked
- mine owners
- tonnes of coal mined per year
- Production by Country
- Number of New Mines by Country (2015-2022)
- Production by Company (Top 20 Companies, Operating Mines)
- Production by Company (Top 20 Companies, Proposed Mines)
- China Production by Province
- Russia Production by Federal Subject
- India Production by State