San Francisco, CA–Global Energy Monitor today released two new tools for tracking the global transition to renewable energy: a wind power tracker covering wind farm phases of 10 megawatts (MW) or more, and a solar power tracker covering utility-scale solar PV farm phases of 20 MW or more (10 MW or more in Arabic-speaking countries). Combining government, corporate, and other public data, the two trackers provide project-level data to show the speed and extent to which countries are building out wind and solar power.
The Global Wind Power Tracker (GWPT) catalogs 13,263 operating utility-scale wind farm phases generating 681.4 GW in 144 countries, and an additional 5,235 prospective projects that would generate 882.0 GW.
Countries with the most operating utility-scale wind project capacity are:
- China (261.2 GW)
- United States (127.3 GW)
- Germany (39.6 GW)
- Spain (26.8 GW)
- India (23.7 GW)
The Global Solar Power Tracker (GSPT) catalogs 5,190 operating utility-scale solar farm phases generating 289.7 GW in 148 countries, and an additional 3,551 prospective projects that would generate 651.6 GW. Utility-scale solar accounts for roughly 65% of total global solar capacity with the remaining 35% being residential and commercial installations. The data include province-level pledges from China’s 14th Five-Year Plan, estimated for utility scale, to provide a more accurate picture of prospective solar build-out. Future releases of the Global Solar Power Tracker will expand the prospective data in China at the project level.
Countries with the most operating utility-scale solar project capacity are:
- China (130.3 GW)
- United States (43.4 GW)
- India (29.0 GW)
- Vietnam (11.3 GW)
- Mexico (10.5 GW)
Ingrid Behrsin, Project Manager, Global Wind Power Tracker, [email protected]
+ 1 (510) 499-8071
Kasandra O’Malia, Project Manager, Global Solar Power Tracker, [email protected]
+ 1 (303) 802-7611